Five Tips to Uncover Job LeadsPosted on July 31st, 2012 No comments
Do you need a jumpstart on your job search? Check out these five tips to uncover job leads.
1. Library Resources – Your local library contains a wealth of information for researching businesses, including databases like ReferenceUSA, Business and Company Resource Center, and ProQuest Newspapers. Many libraries offer remote access to these websites with a valid library card, so check your local library. Don’t have a library card? You can access business-related resources at the Electronic Library for Minnesota.
2. Target Your Market – Creating a target list of businesses in your industry or profession is helpful in identifying the hidden job market and networking opportunities. And with over 170,000 employers in Minnesota, where do you start? Try the Career OneStop Employer Locator. This free business directory is searchable by geography, industry, and occupation.
3. Business Lists – Many business publications rank top companies by industry. These can be helpful if you are trying to identify potential employers and networking opportunities. Try these two resources:
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal is a weekly publication that produces an annual “Book of Lists” which ranks Minnesota firms. Check your local library for availability.
- Twin Cities Business magazine offers The Big Book, which features ranked lists and directories of Minnesota companies. You can view the lists online and even download the information.
4. Business News Alerts – Business alerts can help you stay connected. Many regional business publications offer email updates, which highlight business trends, expansions and hiring news:
You can even create your own business news alert with Google Alerts. Get customized email updates on the latest Google results (news, web, blogs, etc.). Use this tool to keep current on a business, industry, or job postings with a company you’re targeting.
5. Social Media – While social networking doesn’t take the place of face-to-face networking, you might be missing out on some potential contacts. Or missing an opportunity to connect with job openings. If you don’t know where to start, try the LinkedIn Learning Center. LinkedIn User Guides present helpful tips and resources for getting the most out of your LinkedIn Profile. Guides are available for new users, students, job seekers, business owners, and consultants.VN:F [1.9.7_1111]Five Tips to Uncover Job Leads,
Leave a reply
Comments will be posted once they have been approved by the blog administrator.